Follow by Email

Friday, September 09, 2005

New Paperback of One Great Game on sale now--9/9/05

Just got word that the paperback of my football book, ONE GREAT GAME, is available--with a new Afterword that details the end of football's longest-ever winning streak. Publisher is Atria, a division of Simon & Schuster.

Already some coverage in Boise, where the Poly High fieldgoal kicker in the game, Jeff Hastings, is playing. And Calif governator Arnold Schwarzenegger has just sent me a nice letter praising the book's lessons!

Several players profiled in the book have gone on to college and playing on Saturdays, including at USC, UCLA, Notre Dame and Arizona State. Two made Sports Illustrated's All America preseason team: safety Darnell Bing at USC and tight end Marcedes Lewis at UCLA, both former Poly teammates. Both Bing and Lewis, and UCLA's Maurice Drew, had big opening games. USC offensive tackle Winston Justice has reclaimed his starting spot, and Notre Dame nose tackle Derek Landri is again the heart of the defense for the Irish.

It's wonderful to see the kids I knew four years ago succeeding, some despite steep challenges and setbacks, but I also think of how many haven't gone on to NCAA glory. It's sobering, and a reminder that sports success shouldn't be the goal of high school. Also, future success often comes hand in hand with personal discipline and self-control--those who partied late and avoided class rarely make it, despite the stereotypes we read and see in the media.

I do wish the best to all the players who made up the season portrayed in One Great Game--I hope they can keep going at the same level of committment, whatever they are doing now.

8 comments:

  1. The August Annual Schmoozfest
    I just got back from the August Annual. The August Annual is August Capital's schmoozefest and while it is not actually in August, it is indeed annual.
    Mark,

    If you get a moment, you might like to vist my site:
    google sitemap video

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog popped up while I was surfing. It looks like time well spent. Nice job. I'm working on a blog that's related to brain injury. Stop by if you have a couple of minutes.

    Interested in using your blog to make some money? This is one of the best
    brain injury online markets to be in. Successful affiliate marketers are using the Search Engine Marketing to get their sites and blogs crawled, indexed and even ranked at the top by the best search engines in less than one week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well don wallace, quality blogging comes from people who put the energy into their blog like you have. It was a nice change to land on your blog, lots of others are junked up with useless comments and information. I put a lot of energy into my surfboards site, so it does pretty well with surfboards stuff. I think I'll re-create my blog because I like what you've done here and want mine to be more like yours. Thanks for the lesson in good bloggin. You get a special bookmark :)

    have a fantastic day..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, is there something a little weird going on here? I don't know about you don wallace, but my blog gets pretty cluttered with spammy comments from people. My advice to you as one blog owner to another, is to be patient and focus on the great things about having a blog, instead of all the junk that goes on. You do have a quality blog and appears that you enjoy it. My favorite web project so far is a surf boards site, because I have total control and it makes me a couple dollars here and there. It's pretty hard to find new information on surf boards stuff though. Hey, keep up your excellent job don wallace, and good luck with your projects..

    See ya ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well don wallace, quality blogging comes from people who put the energy into their blog like you have. It was a nice change to land on your blog, lots of others are junked up with useless comments and information. I put a lot of energy into my surf boards site, so it does pretty well with surf boards stuff. I think I'll re-create my blog because I like what you've done here and want mine to be more like yours. Thanks for the lesson in good bloggin. You get a special bookmark :)

    have a fantastic day..

    ReplyDelete
  6. don wallace, I need a little inspiration... I've read your post 'New Paperback of One Great Game on sale now--9/9/05', I enjoyed it so I decided to comment. I've been thinking about my blog and how there are all these people posting strange comments there. Maybe you understand, I'm not sure, but it's tiring to read the numbers of comments that don't have much to do with my stuff. My normal cheap surf board website never suffers this because it just sells cheap surf board and isn't a blog. Do you have any ideas for how to stop the cluttering of non-relevant comments? Thanks for your great blog. Tips are always welcome...

    good day -

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well don wallace, quality blogging comes from people who put the energy into their blog like you have. It was a nice change to land on your blog, lots of others are junked up with useless comments and information. I put a lot of energy into my surf boards site, so it does pretty well with surf boards stuff. I think I'll re-create my blog because I like what you've done here and want mine to be more like yours. Thanks for the lesson in good bloggin. You get a special bookmark :)

    have a fantastic day..

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

    http://www.juicyfruiter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete